A content delivery network refers to a network of servers which are set up in different geographical places to deliver content faster to end-users. The main idea behind a content delivery network is to lessen the time needed to deliver specific content to users. It therefore helps companies to handle increased traffic by guaranteeing faster page loading speeds.
How does a content delivery network work?
The CDN or content delivery network seeks to accomplish this task by replicating content from different servers. So, whenever a user requests for some specific content, it is offered to him by the server closest to him which stores a cached version of that content. The shortest distance between a web server and the end-user is determined by multiple factors like latency, speed, data availability etc. The cloud CDN can help by handling multiple user requests and rerouting of content. CDNs are being widely used by media companies, entertainment websites, social networking websites, ecommerce sites and even educational sites.
What are the key benefits offered by a content delivery network?
1. When you hire professional CDN hosting solutions, you can expand your global reach. With the numbers of people accessing the Internet going up each day, it is but natural that businesses will want CDNs to deliver content quickly.
2. When you use a content delivery network, you can eliminate latency issues which are found to affect websites engaging in online financial transactions. A CDN will offer multiple POPs or Points of Presence throughout the world. So, if you are in the US requesting for some content when the main server is in the UK, you will be provided with the content from edge servers based in the US. In the same manner, latency issues which can hamper long-distance web transactions are effectively tackled by CDNs.
3. When you choose a CDN service, you can enjoy higher reliability and response times will be accelerated. For any online business, latency and speed are the two most important issues which can generate higher revenues. The reverse is also true; so, when pages take too long to load, customers abandon a site. However, with reliable CDN solutions, you can ensure that page loading speed is high and financial transactions are conducted seamlessly. This is turn will guarantee customer satisfaction and improve sales.
4. By choosing a content delivery network, businesses can integrate their local points of presence, global presence and local expertise into a single provider. This is very beneficial for companies which are trying to spread their business to areas where they may not have an established presence yet. Starting operations in foreign lands can be hard because of local firewall restrictions. But with a global CDN, this issue is resolved. You can use these hosting solutions to expand your business in countries where you may not have service providers.
5. The content delivery network is very useful because it offers important data about sales. This analytical data can help you understand the buyer behavior and sales patterns. This evaluation may help you come up with strategies to boost your sales.
6. Finally, using a CDN is cost-effective because you do not have to invest in the set-up or sign up with service providers in foreign countries. So, companies which have to work on tight budgets can hope to save money by signing up for a content delivery network.
In this way, CDNs are slowly making their way into different industries. Ecommerce companies are using the CDN to enhance their website performance to get higher search engine rankings. CDNs are also useful for media companies because it improve performance of streaming media. This is especially beneficial given the increasing demands for online videos and real-time videos and audio. Business sites can also benefit from a CDN because it speeds up the interactions between clients and websites. Finally, in the field of education, CDNs are advantageous because there are many colleges which offer online courses to global students. These will need streaming audio or video presentations and lectures.